How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11764
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and i legally sepperated years ago. she made no

Customer Question

my wife and i legally sepperated years ago. she made no attempt to make me pay court ordered child support for the last four years and now that they are 18 wants to collect all of the back payments. what can i do to avoid this? she is financially better off than i am. i live in CT
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Allow me a moment to respond.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

It is likely that she will have issue and problems collecting. I say this because the age of majority in Connecticut is 18, but, as a general rule, child support may continue until a child reaches the age of 19 or completes the twelfth grade, whichever occurs first. Courts in Connecticut may order either parent to contribute to college expenses under certain circumstances. However, a party needs to make an attempt and effort to collect this and go after the other parent. In this case, she had the children and made NO effort to try and get support from you over the years. This is not a situation whereby she tried and you avoided her and did not pay. It is a situation where she failed to act and do anything, so the Judge may not be so inclined to simply order you pay child support, when she never sought it , for all those years. Yes, there was a financial obligation to support the children during that time but her decision to not go after you and/or your decision to possible not pay, does not automatically entitle her to go after you and collect it now and you do have a solid argument to make, as to why this should not be ordered.