How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6422
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can cps take a newborn into care if the mother has family

Customer Question

can cps take a newborn into foster care if the mother has family and relatives that would take the baby?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: Not yet. Unfortunately I haven't had time since just got the news an hour before I went to work yesterday
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: i don't think so
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is***** give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

One of the family members or relatives will need to file a petition for non-parent custody, which is also called "in loco parentis" custody. The non-parents file with the court where the child currently resides. The non-parental filing will need serve the petition on the child's parents and the CPS.

Here is a form to help you get started.

Here are the instructions.

I would highly recommend that you hire a family law attorney so that you do not lose the case on a procedural or evidentiary technicality.

Please Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me for your question. Thank you for using Just Answer.