How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33759
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

The courts gave my ex-wife our house years ago, but she is

Customer Question

the courts gave my ex-wife our house years ago , but she is always asking me to sign over the house to her, my name is ***** ***** the title/deed.... I didnʻt go to court back then, because i didnʻt know or were served anything to attend the court hearings. Do I still have rights to that property? and if so.... what should I do...any suggestions??
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

You weren't served with papers advising you that you were being sued for divorce?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
no papers were served.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
any suggestions??
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 1 year ago.

If you were never served with any papers then you have an option to file a Motion to Vacate Judgment, preferably through a lawyer, and ask the judge to start over from scratch. If you don't have any objection to the divorce or the way the property was handled then you can choose not to do this and just sign off on any paperwork your "ex" has.

At this point, the ball is in your court but those are really your option, 1) ask the court to vacate the judgment and start over, or 2) sign off on your "ex's" paperwork.