How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116711
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband have a daughter in PR and he is paying the child

Customer Question

JA: Hi. How can we be of help?
Customer: my husband have a daughter in PR and he is paying the child support but they are not going by the guidelines and we live in the state of Florida can we change the case to US and do it by his net income or not
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Puerto Rico
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: yes in Puerto Rico but they have to child support the regular one and the supplementary (for sports , housing and private school)
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: they want me as a spouse to pay child support as well . and dont think is fair ..I have a 2 year old daughter and we dont even have money to pay our rent because the child spp is 2,000 a month
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.

Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Unfortunately, legally if the child is in PR, then child support must be done in PR and it cannot be transferred to the US. I am afraid that under PR child support laws the income of the new spouse of the paying parent can be considered, but the court is also supposed to consider whether or not you and your husband have a child together that you are raising and consider that in their calculations.

I am afraid that your only recourse as long as the child remains in PR is to fight the support in PR and file to try to get a reduction in the PR courts. Legally no other state in the US can take jurisdiction as long as the child resides in PR and the PR court has issued a support order in the matter.