Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I was wondering when filing child support is my living

Customer Question
expenses included as well. I...
I was wondering when filing child support is my living expenses included as well. I would like to place myself on child support.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Massachusetts but my child lives in Louisiana.
JA: Have you talked to a laywer yet?
Customer: My living expense here are way more than Louisiana
JA: Anything else you want the lawyer to know before I connect you?
Customer: Yes but I'm I am not getting the information I need
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/4/2016
Family Lawyer: AttyHeather, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer

Hi! I'm Heather. I've been a practicing attorney for the last 15 years, and I'd be happy to assist you for informational and educational purposes.

When you say you "would like to place myself on child support," I don't quite understand that. It sounds like you want someone to pay you child support. Is that right, or are you the person who is obligated to pay child support to someone else?

If your child lives in Louisiana, and you live in Mass, I can see how the expenses could be much higher. What state is the child support order entered through?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No I want to pay child support to my child's mother. She has not placed me on child support but I want to because the relationship with my child's mother is not a good relationship
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
It is going to be ordered through Louisiana

Ok, that makes sense. Just a few moments as I research your question.

I've researched the Louisiana child support guidelines, and unfortunately, there is not any provision to lower your support for increased living expenses in a case such as yours. I'm sorry. Here is a link you can review the statute: http://www.supportguidelines.com/glines/la_cs.html

Also, the actual child support guidelines were updated in 2016, with new numbers attributed for the parent's combine income for the calculation, and that can be found here: http://www.dss.louisiana.gov/index.cfm?md=pagebuilder&tmp=home&nid=86&pnid=60&pid=146&catid=0

Please let me know if I have answered your question.

AttyHeather
AttyHeather
AttyHeather, Lawyer