How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 28045
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We are in the process of divorcing and are in mediation.

Customer Question

We are in the process of divorcing and are in mediation. While our investments are being retitled, can I change my name back to my maiden name before I am divorced? Or, do I need to file something with the court system, since everything is under my married name? What is the process of changing my name back to my maiden name?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. It would be something that needs to be done during the proceedings and ordered by the Judge, when the decree is final. If you are getting divorced, there is a box on the divorce petition that you can check to resume your former name or a former married name. If you are not sure you want to resume a former name when you file for divorce, you can file a motion to change your name before the conclusion of your divorce case. If you did not check this box, then you can always file a motion, advising the Judge of your desire and it can be done.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.