Family Law

Family law questions? Ask a family lawyer online.

I presently live in las vegas nevada.. have been with my…

Customer Question
i presently live in las...
i presently live in las vegas nevada.. have been with my husband ( ex ) for 28 years... we divorced in arizona july 2008.. yet stayed together and moved to nevada have been residing together until last sept.. we registered as domestic partners in in sept 2009 here in nevada... do i have rights to financial support..
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
9/2/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. Yes, if you are in a domestic partnership, you could have financial rights/support, if you separate. I say this because domestic partners have the same rights, protections, and benefits, and are subject to the same responsibilities, obligations and duties under law that are granted to and imposed upon married spouses. Here is the statute which controls and which you can review, to show and support what you could ask the court to award.

http://www.leg.state.nv.us/NRS/NRS-122A.html

Ely, Counselor at Law