How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33388
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife and I have been seperated 20 years with 2 grown

Customer Question

My wife and I have been seperated 20 years with 2 grown children in there mid twenties, Indo not know her whereabouts, what documents do I file in California court
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

Are you wanting to file for divorce?

Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

If so, how old are those documents?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Just received them a week ago
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want to file asap
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I want to get the divorce so I can get married to someone else
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
The documents are a week old
Customer: replied 10 months ago.
I don't want a phone call at this time unless it's necessary
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

I can't comment on the documents since I didn't draft them but if you just got them and the preparers knew why you needed them then they should be okay.

You are also going to have to try and serve her with the papers at her last known address and then when that doesn't work you have to file a Motion for Substituted Service and an order. Then you can ask for a hearing and the judge will grant the order and allow you to serve her by, for instance, posting in a newspaper. You can likely get these forms from teh same place you got your other ones.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.