How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask JD 1992 Your Own Question
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 33392
Experience:  Began practicing Family Law in 1992
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
JD 1992 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My daughter just passed away, I have her two boys and I want

Customer Question

my daughter just passed away, I have her two boys and I want to get legel custody. how do I do this. My wife and I are retired and are on a fixed income. We want to take care of them but we will need help. They were on acces and food stamps, she just filled out the paper work for social security, but it hasn't stsrted yet.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  JD 1992 replied 10 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to helping you today.

You would have to file a Suit Affecting the Parent Child relationship, preferably through a lawyer, and then have the father or fathers served with a copy of the papers. If they don't reply to being served or if the judge rules in your favor then that will give you legal custody of the children. Some judges will also require that a lawyer, known as an attorney ad litem, be appointed to represent the children as well.

If your question has been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.