How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Daughter has lived fulltime with me(mother) for over 9

Customer Question

Daughter has lived fulltime with me(mother) for over 9 months. Father pays catholic school tuition and nothing else. Our oldest daughter is in colkege(which he pays) he is threatening to stop paying housing unless I contribute. What are my legal rights? Divorce decree was joint but due to his alcoholism and rehab stint my 16 yr daughter does not want to live with him, he is also financially obligated to tuition.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

What is stated in the divorce decree regarding support for the children and does it require or address support for the daughter who is in college?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No support because we're are suppose to have 50/50 custody. Due to circumstances in his home my daughter lives fulltime with me. I have not gone after full custody or child support because he pays tuition... But now he is threatening to stop paying housing cost for our oldest daughter
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What are me legal rights?
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Sorry for the delay, as I was having a problem connecting to the server.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

The obligation of the father would only be that which has and/or is court ordered. I say this because if everything has been informal and done so voluntarily, he could technically stop paying for her housing. His only legal obligation would be what is court ordered and if the child is over the age of 18, unless he is ordered, he does not have to provide any support. As such, you do not have to pay either, unless you want to and if he stops, then your daughter will need to go through the college, to obtain financial assistance. As far as the minor child, you can go after him for child support if she resides with you and if the custody is no longer 50/50 with shared costs and expenses.