How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4194
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 14 years old. I was wanting to know if I could live

Customer Question

Hi. I am 14 years old. I was wanting to know if I could live with my grandma instead of living with my dad. I dislike my dad and would rather live with my grandma. Parents got divorced at age 5. But then my mm died June.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for using Just Answer. Please bear with me as I verify somethings for you. I will respond fully shortly. Thank you for your patience

Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Thank you for your patience. I am an attorney with many years of experience and I hope I can answer your questions

I am sorry that you are having these difficulties at such a young age. You should be enjoying yourself and your friends. I can't imagine how hard it must be without your Mom.

The laws in Colorado do not provide for a Petition for Emancipation. Emancipation is a process where you can ask the Court to give you the authority to make decisions for yourself. BUT unfortunately you don't have that option.

Colordo law DOES give your grandmother some rights to pursue visitation, but unless your Dad agrees she can not get Custody of you through the Courts.

So this means that you can only live with your Grandma IF you father allows it.

I am really sorry that I can't give you the information that you want to hear. I wish I could tell you something different bu that would be lying to you.

Your best bet is to try to get your father to at least let you spend more time with your Grandma. Perhaps if he can understand that as a young women you need the connection to another woman thta you love he will be more understanding. I hope that this is the case.

Also please know that you are growing up fast. Very soon (I know it seems like a long time now but it will pass before you know it). This means that soon you will be an adult and be able to make your own decisions.

I sincerely ***** ***** the best.

Kind regards,