How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27196
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a friend needing legal advice regarding child

Customer Question

I have a friend needing legal advice regarding child support. Her ex-husand is avoiding going to court to process child support payments. The court told her that she needed a third party to serve her ex the court papers for him to sign but if he doesn't sign them, there is nothing she can do about it. He has been dodging her and his responsibility to provide for his child. What can she do, if she does not have an address or know his whereabouts.
Submitted: 10 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

Hi! I will be the professional that will be helping you today. I look forward to providing you with information to help with your question and concern

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.

The site allows us to provide your friend with information to help her understand the situation but we can not give out legal advice, since we are not representing her nor is there any attorney / client privilege. In a situation like this, when he refuses to cooperate or sign anything, he would need to be legally served. When that happens, a process server can be hired and they will serve him with the papers. If she does not have a current address for him, the process server can run a skip trace and find out addresses where he may reside or work. If he is avoiding service, then the process server can advise the court of the same and she could publish on him, as a form of notice. Then, if he fails to respond, a default can be entered against him by the court and she will get a court order regarding child support and can enforce it against him.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.
Wasn't that helpful but thanks for confirming what I already knew. That is the case he says he wants to go to court but then backs out on his word. Another problem is potential domestic violence, she filed charges 2010 in New York but never pressed charges, I was wondering how long do those charges stay on record.
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 10 months ago.
You are welcome. In regard to your follow up question if charges were never pressed/filed then it would not appear on his record. The case would have been closed out / dismissed or not even filed so the only thing on thing would be an arrest but nothing on his record to show a conviction

Related Family Law Questions