How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask KimberlyLaw Your Own Question
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4219
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
KimberlyLaw is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son missed a court date in California, how does he have

Customer Question

my son missed a court date in California, how long does he have until he can reschedule his court date without being arrested? And, if he has to turn himself in will they keep him until his new trial date?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I am happy to assist.

He can technically be arrested right away if this is a criminal matter and he didn't show up for court. If he has a public defender, was that attorney not present? What was the outcome of that hearing, can he ask the attorney to tell him what happened? He can also just call the court and ask for the result. That is the very first thing that he should do.

He also needs to get the attorney involved right away to make a motion for a new hearing. I suspect that a new hearing date was already set at the last hearing when he didn't show up, so that is something the court clerk can tell you. They can also tell you if the court issued an arrest warrant. That's the only way to know what's going on.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you