KimberlyLaw
KimberlyLaw, Lawyer and Real Estate Broker
Experience:  13 years of experience practicing law.
8989662

My son missed a court date in California, how does he have

Customer Question

my son missed a court date in California, how long does he have until he can reschedule his court date without being arrested? And, if he has to turn himself in will they keep him until his new trial date?
Category: Family Law
Expert:  KimberlyLaw replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney. I am happy to assist.

He can technically be arrested right away if this is a criminal matter and he didn't show up for court. If he has a public defender, was that attorney not present? What was the outcome of that hearing, can he ask the attorney to tell him what happened? He can also just call the court and ask for the result. That is the very first thing that he should do.

He also needs to get the attorney involved right away to make a motion for a new hearing. I suspect that a new hearing date was already set at the last hearing when he didn't show up, so that is something the court clerk can tell you. They can also tell you if the court issued an arrest warrant. That's the only way to know what's going on.

Please let me know if you have any questions about this.

Thank you

Kim