Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Experience:  associate attorney
84496330

2 years ago this November I was hospitalized in the

Customer Question

2 years ago this November I was hospitalized in the psychiatric section for alcohol abuse and homelessness on and off for about 4 years. I have did Drug Court and have remained sober and tobacco free since November of 2014. I am 32 years old and having my first baby. Do you think the hospital will try to take my newborn? The doctor said it is what I am doing now that counts, but I want to make sure. I have 2 jobs and a nice place to keep my baby.
JA: Since laws vary from place to place, what state is this in?
Customer: California
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and for using justanswer.com.

If you are stable now and do not have any current issues. The court will not take away your child. If you test positive for certain drugs while pregnant or show symptoms of drug use CURRENTLY then that is the only way they will take your child. They will not do so if you are currently stable. The physician is right and what you are doing now is what counts. With a way to support your child and adequate income and no evidence of drug use, there is NO chance that your child will be taken away. So rest easy and I commend you for turning your life around. Your child will need you and that will hopefully keep you strong.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.