How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My grandson is 12 soon to be 13 on Nov. 27 2016. He has

Customer Question

My grandson is 12 soon to be 13 on Nov. 27 2016. He has stated he wants to live with his dad both to his mom, to my son (his father) to counselors etc. My son hired an attorney and filed for custody and the hearing was scheduled for Aug 22. 2016. At the hearing the the opposing attorney requested a continuance and the judge said he needed to read the defacs reports before deciding. After the break he said that he was inclined to grant a continuance but we could argue against it after lunch. Our attorney said that the counselor needed to leave and never suggested that we return after lunch or never requested a continuance date. We left the courtroom in limbo with my grandson screaming that he did not want to return to his mother and now our attorney won't return our calls. BTW he was paid in full up front. We live in Georgia. Please advise.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using

Legal decisions are normally up to the attorney but you could argue that legal malpractice was committed here if an attorney in a similar field would have done things differently regarding the continuance. There is a basic standard of practice that needs to be followed and if it was not followed by the attorney then he has committed legal malpractice and you could report it to the state bar association as well as file a cause of action in court against the attorney. I would think it would be extremely unlikely that this would be successful.

As for the non returning of the phone calls, the same standard in the last paragraph would also apply. Attorneys get busy and not returning phone calls is common. It would have to be very excessive to be able to report to the bar association and file a legal malpractice claim. Your best bet would be to fire your attorney and replace with another but this might cost even more money. You could request the current attorney to return funds as you were not satisfied with his service. You could report him to the bar if he does not and you believe you received subpar services. This will be difficult to come out on the positive end and get immediate help which is what you want in this situation and your best bet for this is for the current attorney to continue with the case but he will have to respond to your inquiries. Again this is simply a hard situation.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 10 months ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?

Related Family Law Questions