How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2982
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My wife started a divorce case against me. the judge gave

Customer Question

my wife started a divorce case against me .
the judge gave her exclusive marital house use and sole physical custody while kept the legal custody for both of us .
My question : how can i make sure legally 100% that she will never/can’t change my daughter’s name ?
the divorce rules different in my country in jordan . so I’m asking this question to make sure whenever my daughter will come back home , i will know and start taking the legal steps in my country for her (my daughter) not to leave .
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you today. Thank you for your question and thank you for using

When a divorce is occurring, the noncustodial parent must sign the petition to consent to the name change. But if the noncustodial parent hasn't met child support obligations and hasn't communicated with the child in two years, consent is not required. Consent is also unnecessary if the noncustodial parent has been convicted of child abuse or a sex crime. If your ex spouse wants to change your child's name without the your permission, she must initiate service of process on you, either by process server or by mail. If you can show you, the noncustodial parent, hasn't complied with a support order for two years, the court may let her skip service of process. SO to answer your question, no she cannot without your permission but if you are concerned about that I would address it with the Court.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied (there shoudl be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from). This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will only ensure that I will be compensated by teh site.