How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Child Custody, and permanent residences. NY, No, I am just

Customer Question

JA: Hi. What is your issue regarding?
Customer: Child Custody, and permanent residences.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: NY
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, I am just looking to see what kind of action the other party might be able to take.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: The situation is that my girlfriend currently resides in an apartment within the same house as her ex-husband and their 4 children. My girlfriend and I have decided to move out and we are supposed to be leaving next weekend with all the children. Her ex is upset and does not want us to take all of the children. He wants to keep two of them with him. In their divorce agreement it states that they have shared custody but the children reside with the mother. What I need to know is can he stop us from moving with the children?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I certainly understand the situation and your concern. How far away would she be locating with the children? Is this within a few miles or is it far away?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
It's about 90 miles but within the state
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
There is nothing in the divorce agreement that mentions distance. Only that she can't go out of state
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Allow me a moment please