How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Michael J, Esq. Your Own Question
Michael J, Esq.
Michael J, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 3461
Experience:  Licensed Attorney - represented hundreds of clients in criminal cases, family law disputes, traffic issues, and general legal issues. Youth Court Prosecutor.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Michael J, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I file for a psych evaluation on an adult son living

Customer Question

How do I file for a psych evaluation on an adult son living with me?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Michael J, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Hello and thank you for contacting JustAnswer. My name is Michael; I look forward to assisting you today. By continuing, you agree that this conversation shall not be considered legal advice and that you understand I can only comment on the law in general and not give advice on your particular situation.

I'm sorry to hear about your situation. If your son is a 1) danger to himself or others or 2) can't take care of himself, you can file an application with your local family court to have him mentally evaluated. If he is found to be incapacitated, inpatient or outpatient care can be mandated.

Here's an explanation of the legal standards for voluntary and involuntary commitment.

Your local family law court should be able to help you get started on this civil commitment. Good luck!


If you valued my time, please consider rating me positively at the top of the page. Experts don't get credit for our answers until you do. If you have further questions, please continue to ask them until you're completely satisfied.

DISCLAIMER: This is not legal advice and I am not your lawyer. My questions are based on my knowledge of the jurisdiction where I am admitted to practice, my experience on this site over several years, and research on the relevant laws and statutes for your jurisdiction, if any. My information is not advice and you should always speak to local counsel before you act.

Related Family Law Questions