Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex is a convicted con artist, I had no idea when I met

Customer Question
him he had me marked...
My ex is a convicted con artist, I had no idea when I met him he had me marked because I had fair credit and no significant criminal background. A year ago I had a car, a home, a bank account, I had everything. Today I'm in debt carless and homeless. He got me evicted by not paying his half of rent (which he tricked me) and hiding all eviction notices so I had no idea. He sold my furniture that's not paid for, and sold everything I own by stealing my uhaul.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
He also has stolen other people's identities by making a fake email under my name and trying (or succeeding) in getting lines of credits. Even opened a paypal in my name. He did the same to his mother! He used my actual PayPal to buy a $1700 drone!! He convinced me when I was being conned to add him to my bank account and he drained it and left me in debt.
8/26/2016
Family Lawyer: N Cal Attorney, Attorney replied 1 year ago
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney

I am sorry to hear this.

Did you marry him?

Have you contacted the police?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
No we never married, I put him in jail for abuse to a family member and obstruction of airway, and he somehow conned his way out of getting found guilty. I was a high end escort and I think he used that against me. I'm not sure because I was too scared to show up because I'm afraid of what else he is capable of. He know everything about me (social, dob, mothers maiden name, I mean I have witnessed him guessing other people's passwords and succeeding.) I have a storage w my most valuable possessions and he somehow got all the mail from them directed somewhere else and when o thought I had 6 months payed I only had 3. My girlfriend set it up for me while I was out of town and he is friends w her boyfriend. Her boyfriend gave him the paperwork.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
If you were to look at his record you would understand. I'm from a small town and had just moved to Houston and had no idea that I was getting introduced into a world I never knew existed. I was newly divorced and selling insurance. I didn't know what a con artist was and the whole "make sure to do a background check"

Did you report the thefts the police?

Do you want to sue him for the thefts?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I have made police reports. And he has nothing so how can I sue him?
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I would sue him in a heartbeat

Where did this happen?

Do you think he will ever have any assets that could go to pay a judgment if you did sue him?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Houston, Texas
And he did say he has a couple of shares of Facebook but he's a liar so I don't know. Other than that.. His mom pays his carnote and phone bill. Other than that he's destined to spend the rest of his life in jail.

Do you have a specific question?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What would you do if you had a daughter or sister and this happened to her? What legal recourse would you take?

If there was any ongoing harassment I would seek a restraining order. Otherwise I would tell her to just walk away from the situation and try to rebuild her life.

The Victim's Compensation Fund does not assist victims of property crimes, see

http://www.vcgcb.ca.gov/victims/eligibility.aspx

If he is judgment proof because he has no assets and no prospects I would probably not bother suing him as it costs time and money and is unlikely to result in any recovery.

I am sorry he did this to you and I am sorry I don't have a simple remedy for it, other than to cancel all accounts he had access to and urge the police to prosecute him for the thefts. And pursue any insurance claims you may have for the thefts.

The more honest and high minded a person is, the less likely the person is to suspect that others will lie, cheat and steal.

I am sorry this is probably not the answer you had hoped for but it would be unfair to you, and unprofessional of me, not to provide my honest opinion.

I hope this information is helpful. If it is not, I can opt out and open this thread to the other legal experts to see if any of them can find a remedy.

N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney
N Cal Attorney, Attorney