How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyLaw-Expert Your Own Question
FamilyLaw-Expert, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 1953
Experience:  Has received a certificate of recognition from the California State Senate for his outstanding legal service.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyLaw-Expert is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My 17 year old ran away and is refusing to come home do I

Customer Question

My 17 year old ran away and is refusing to come home do I have the legal right to force him to come home? Also he is addicted to drugs can I force him to go to rehab?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: Ny
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I really want to know if legally I can make him go to rehab I'm scared I'm going to lose him. Also I want to know if I call the police if they have to get him since he is 17
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyLaw-Expert replied 1 year ago.

Hello, my name is ***** ***** I want to make sure you receive excellent service today. You do have the legal right to force him to come home. You can file a missing persons report with the police and they will force him to return to your home. If he is in possession at the time, then they will likely arrest him, which may be a blessing because if probation takes over they can oftentimes force him into sobriety. If he has left the state, you will want to contact the interstate compact for juveniles. This forces minors to be transported back to their home state to go through that same process I just mentioned.

As long as your child is 17 years of age or younger you can send them to a rehabilitation or treatment center without their approval. You would need to file a petition showing your son is a danger to himself or others, get him a court examination, and a medical evaluation by two health professionals, including a doctor. Then, you would either have him committed for detoxification or intensive treatment through recovery. In either situation, you must pay all costs incurred in the process, as well as all costs of treatment.

Please do not hesitate to let me know if you have any questions or concerns regarding the above and I will be more than happy to assist you further. If you do not require any further assistance, please do not forget to provide my service with a positive rating, as this is the only way I will receive credit for assisting you.

Have a wonderful rest of your day.