How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask RayAnswers Your Own Question
RayAnswers, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 41537
Experience:  30 years as a family law lawyer .
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
RayAnswers is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a step-grandfather who obtain join custody of a

Customer Question

I am a step-grandfather who obtain join custody of a teenager to facilitate him finishing high school. Parent did not divulge that the child hard drug problems leading to the reason he was leading school. The pretext was he missed he friend and want to graduate with them, this was two months before the end of the 10th grade. After he came to live with the Grandmother and I we found out the he had not finished the 9th grade because of truancy and discipline problems, did not find ou that he had been bust for bringing drug to school, until the first high school we tried to get him entered into refused to take him because of his school record. He had continuous run ins with teaches, truancy problems, very poor grades and drug usage in the 11 th grade. We tried to get him professional help to find out that the only doctor in the area was still owed $5000 by his custodial parent. He then started illegally transferring money from my bank account into his, (to the tune of several hundred dollars). I sent him back to the mother and now she is sueing me for full medical and dental coverage, and legal fees. What are my rights and my obligations to Step-Grandchild?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Texas
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, and the child has been with the mother and stepfather for several weeks now...
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: We just got the papers over the last two days along with a restraining order...
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: At no time would the mother talk to us about the child, she would either have him talk to us or she would text.... Nothing about him be treated by a behaviorist for the last several years.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Hi and welcome to JA. Ray here to help you today.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

You have right to file motion to modify here and relinquish custody and terminate any duties of support.It would be in your interest to do so.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

You also want to file and Answer here to her suit, here are free forms.

You can represent yourself pro se seeking to end custody especially since there is a restraining order, judge is likely to agree here.Also any duty to support ends at age 18 or high school graduation if they are enrolled.So that comes into play here.

Insurance is considered part of duty of person with legal custody here to pay support so you may want to consider a lawyer too.

Expert:  RayAnswers replied 11 months ago.

Lawyer referral

I am so sorry that you were duped into this.I know you meant well , I appreciate the chance to help you today.

Related Family Law Questions