How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29996
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Mew Hampshire and have recently separated from my

Customer Question

I live in Mew Hampshire and have recently separated from my wife. I left our home. We have been married a little over 2 years. The house was bought 4 years ago and we moved in together. My name isn't on the mortgage. The house is now up for sale. Am I entitled to half the profits of the sale?
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today. I'm sorry to hear about your situation.

Is your name on the deed?

Customer: replied 12 months ago.
No it is not
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 12 months ago.

Thank you.

In that case, the house is her separate property. She wouldn't owe you half the profits from the sale unless you signed something, either when you bought it or when you got married, stating that she would. The payments you made to the house before the marriage are treated as rent.

You ARE entitled to half the increase in equity after you married, because the payments made were made with marital property. Look at the exact dates, but that should work out to about 1/4 of the total equity. You have a right to request bank statements from the month before you married and the current statements to see how much equity has accumulated.

If you have any questions or concerns about my response, please reply WITHOUT RATING. It's important that you are 100% satisfied with my courtesy and professionalism. Otherwise, please rate my service positively so I am paid for the time I spend answering questions. If you are on a mobile device, you may need to scroll to the right. There is no charge for follow-up questions. Thank you.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Did you have any other questions about this?