How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11842
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How can I go about legally disowning my sister? For the last

Customer Question

How can I go about legally disowning my sister? For the last 15 years or so, she has done nothing but lie about me and to me. I have taken all the pain and hurt I can, but no more!!!
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: I live in Tennessee and she lives in North Carolina
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No, that's why I'm asking you first.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: Nothing I can think of. My husband wrote her a letter telling her how we feel and she has told others that we threatened her, which she knows is a lie. Her own daughter has just about disowned her as well, and she's adopted (my niece).
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: I live in Tennessee, my sister lives in North Carolina, and my niece lives in Oklahoma.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through and what your sister is doing. From a legal standpoint, you can not essentially divorce your sister. What you can do, is if/when you prepare a will, make it clear that you do not want to leave anything to her or allow her any legal right/interest in your Estate. You can prevent her from taking anything. Now, as far as the actual relationship, it would need to be something that is terminated/ended by action, just like her own daughter did. You have no legal obligation to speak with her, respond to her or have any involvement at all with her. Moreover, if she is harassing you, you may want to consider filing a restraining order against her so the conduct stops and if it were to continue, a criminal complaint.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 1 year ago.

Please let me know if you have any follow up questions or need any clarification on something which I stated above. Also, remember to rate my service at the top of this page, before exiting the site, so I can receive credit for my help. I hope you found it to be Excellent! Only rate my answer when you are 100% satisfied. If you feel the need to click either of the two lower ratings to the left, please stop and reply to me. I want to make sure your experience with the site was as pleasurable as possible and that you are satisfied with the help I provided.