How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 117395
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My sisters son shot himself. There is custody case because

Customer Question

My sisters son shot himself. There is custody case because his wife is not the mother. Because my sister would not back the stepmother the stepmother made up lies and was grated a restraining order so she cannot see or contact her grandson which she raised the first 3 yrs of his life. Is there any recourse for her. The stepmother saI'd she threatened to kill her kids and it's not true but she couldn't afford a lawyer so it was her word against the steptmom so they granted it. She had her family members back her up that that hears her say it.
JA: Because laws vary from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: She can't afford a lawyer
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: It's a angry situation and they are trying to say she us on numerous mental drugs and the judge would not look at her doctors reports. I'm so disalusioned with the justice system that it allows this.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
Unfortunately, in order for the grandmother to seek to get custody rights, she is going to have to go to court and prove that the claims of the stepmother were false. Even thought you say she cannot afford an attorney, she could go to legal aid for assistance and also call the state bar and seek the pro bono attorneys in the area to represent her in court. Without proving the allegations false in court, the court's hands are tied and they cannot give her rights. So, as this is important to her you need to assist her getting to legal aid or the state bar to get her an attorney and get this matter back into court to fight for custody against the non-biological parent.
Customer: replied 12 months ago.
What is this costing me
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 12 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The experts are not employees of this site, we have no idea what customers agree to pay the site. I am afraid you have to check with customer service to find that out.