How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask originallawyer Your Own Question
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 855
Experience:  9+ years of experience in divorce, custody battles and mediation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
originallawyer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Annulment, Louisiana, No, I also have documentation of him

Customer Question

JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I also have documentation of him hurting me
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer! I am working on answering your question. Please stand by!

Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.


What is your basis for wanting an annulment? How long have you been married?

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We were married 2013
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
We never had sex with this guy even if we are together. And he is not emotionally healthy. I also have restraining order from him bec he is abusive.
Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.

Below are the reasons to declare a marriage null in Lousiana. I don't know that your situation qualifies for an annulment, but you can still file for divorce.

  • bigamy - one spouse was already married
  • incest - the spouses are related as first cousins or closer
  • coercion, fraud or duress - one spouse was coerced into the marriage
  • minority - one spouse was underage at the time of the marriage
  • one spouse is mentally retarded
  • one spouse was intoxicated during the marriage
  • one spouse was not present for the marriage ceremony
  • the spouses did not have a proper marriage ceremony.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
What if he is in the other state?! Can I still file it?!
Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.

Yes, you can still file for divorce wherever you live. You would need to have him served with divorce papers, or have him sign a waiver of service, but you can file for divorce even if he doesn't live in the same state.

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Should I know where he lives
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
I don't know his exact location
Expert:  originallawyer replied 11 months ago.

If you want to proceed with the divorce quickly, yes. There are ways to legally notify a person that they are being sued for divorce without serving them paperwork, but it is not easy and takes more time and money. I suggest you find a lawyer that offers a free consultation and talk to them about this and see what they suggest.

Related Family Law Questions