Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Annulment, Louisiana, No, I also have documentation of him

Customer Question
Annulment JA: Because family law varies...
Annulment
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Louisiana
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I also have documentation of him hurting me
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/24/2016
Family Lawyer: originallawyer, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney

Thanks for using Just Answer! I am working on answering your question. Please stand by!

Hello:

What is your basis for wanting an annulment? How long have you been married?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We were married 2013
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
We never had sex with this guy even if we are together. And he is not emotionally healthy. I also have restraining order from him bec he is abusive.

Below are the reasons to declare a marriage null in Lousiana. I don't know that your situation qualifies for an annulment, but you can still file for divorce.

• bigamy - one spouse was already married
  • incest - the spouses are related as first cousins or closer
  • coercion, fraud or duress - one spouse was coerced into the marriage
  • minority - one spouse was underage at the time of the marriage
  • one spouse is mentally retarded
  • one spouse was intoxicated during the marriage
  • one spouse was not present for the marriage ceremony
  • the spouses did not have a proper marriage ceremony.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
What if he is in the other state?! Can I still file it?!

Yes, you can still file for divorce wherever you live. You would need to have him served with divorce papers, or have him sign a waiver of service, but you can file for divorce even if he doesn't live in the same state.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
Should I know where he lives
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I don't know his exact location

If you want to proceed with the divorce quickly, yes. There are ways to legally notify a person that they are being sued for divorce without serving them paperwork, but it is not easy and takes more time and money. I suggest you find a lawyer that offers a free consultation and talk to them about this and see what they suggest.

originallawyer
originallawyer
originallawyer, Family Law Attorney