How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2156
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I wanted to know if there is a legal way to delay a divorce.

Customer Question

I wanted to know if there is a legal way to delay a divorce. My only reason for wanting to delay it another 7 months is because I will lose $1,000 a month and I can't afford that.
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Maryland but I am in the military and a resident of FL
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: That I believe my spouse cheated and that is the reason she ended the marriage
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 12 months ago.

You can ask the court for a continuance if it is set on a docket date. The basis would be you are still evaluating the situation and how to proceed. Courts will generally not force a divorce upon you if you are not ready.

Related Family Law Questions