How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawTalk Your Own Question
LawTalk, Attorney and Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 37818
Experience:  30 years legal experience. I remain current in Family Law through regular continuing education.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawTalk is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a canadian citizen married for 3 1/2 years to a US

Customer Question

I am a canadian citizen married for 3 1/2 years to a US citizen in NY state.
We've never lived together as plans to move to canada failed. I could not move to the US due to disagreements regarding my children.
I have assist my wife financialy over the term.
She quit her job shortly afyer we married. Worked part time but now is full time. This put me into a consumer proposal and I live in a basement. She still owns her home were she resides with her 2 sons. Prior to our marriage. She is behind on 3 mortgage payments. I earn 80,000 and she earns 30,000 gross. We have filed independant taxes. She filed head of household. How much spousal maintainace will I likely have to pay and for how long. I am 52 she is 42.
Thank you.
Submitted: 12 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon Ron,

I'm Doug, and I'm very sorry to hear of your situation. My goal is to provide you with excellent service today. In order to give you a clear and concise answer, I will need some additional information about the circumstances, please.

1. Do you plan to divorce in NY or somewhere in Canada?

2. Have you provided financial support to her for the past 3 years?


Customer: replied 12 months ago.
We were married in NY state.
Yes as I think I mentioned in the initial message. Ive had to help financially.
Some months 1000 others 500, some months none at all.
Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.


Thanks for the additional information.

Because the marriage has been so short,, and because you never have lived together and your support of her has been rather minimal, it is possible that a judge would not order that you provide support for her at all. If a court does assess spousal support against you, it would likely be for only about 18 to 24 months, and the monthly support would probably not be any more than about $1000 to $1150 per month.

You may reply back to me using the Reply link and I will be happy to continue to assist you until I am able to address your concerns, to your satisfaction.

I hope that I have been able to fully answer your question. As I am not an employee of JustAnswer, please be so kind as to rate my service to you. That is the only way I am compensated for assisting you. Thank you in advance.

I wish you and yours the best in 2016,


Expert:  LawTalk replied 12 months ago.

Good afternoon,

This seems like a very crucial matter for you, and your questions and issues suggest that an in-depth conversation might best suit your needs. If you are interested, for a very nominal charge I can offer you a private phone conference as opposed to continuing in this question and answer thread which is searchable and viewable by the public.

Please know that I answered your question in good faith, providing you with the information that you asked for, and I did that with the expectation that you would act likewise and rate my service to you. If I have already provided you with the information you asked for and you have no additional questions, would you please now rate my service to you so I can be compensated for assisting you?

Thanks in advance,