How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LegalGems Your Own Question
LegalGems, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10484
Experience:  Experienced Family Law Attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LegalGems is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am from state of california. I filed my divorce case in

Customer Question

I am from state of california. I filed my divorce case in alameda county in city of hayward.
I finished my spousal support. Judge signed off no more further liability. I applied for divorce 11 months back. In mid of July both the parties filed declaration of assets. I am asking nothing from my ex, and I have nothing to give her.
We have a status conference in october. Whats exactly happening now? Why is my divorce still kept under pending? Can I expedite this or must I wait until october? Will the judge sign off divorce in october Or will he still take few more weeks to sign it off?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

I understand your frustration; a status conference is designed to determine what issues, if any, remain, so that the court can determine if a trial will be necessary.

If all issues have been resolved, then typically the parties will submit a signed marital settlement agreement along with the request for entry of judgment of dissolution and other legal documents to finalize the divorce.

There is a statutory 6 month waiting period from the time of filing the petition for divorce, to when the divorce decree (judgment) can be entered. If there are still issues, one can apply for "bifurcation" which allows the judge to declare the parties divorced, and then after that they can resolve any outstanding issues (ie property, child support, etc).

If there are no other issues to resolve, the standard step is to request a final judgment.

That form is here:

Here is a checklist of items needed:

So basically the party can go to the status conference and lay out all the issues and how they were resolved; if there is a marital settlement agreement that can also be brought. Each county has their own form for the status conference-for example please see:

If all necessary paper are filed and the parties are in agreement, the court clerk can be contacted and they may take the status conference off calendar since there would technically be no need for it if there is not going to be a hearing, since there would be no dispute. This explains status conferences:

The judge will normally sign off on it when it is presented but this varies by the particular judge.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Expert:  LegalGems replied 1 year ago.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!