Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have an ex GF who will not contact me for separation and

Customer Question
division of property both her...
I have an ex GF who will not contact me for separation and division of property both her personal property left here and shared property I have written an order to show cause to be mailed certified to her but do not have a forwarding address to mail it to what is my recourse now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/21/2016
Family Lawyer: Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney replied 1 year ago
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'm an attorney. I’ll be happy to help you in any way I can. This site is for educational purposes only. Sometimes - although certainly not always - experts have to give you what you deem “bad news” but that should not be a reflection of how satisfied you are with the assistance your expert provided. My goal is to make sure you are completely satisfied before you submit your rating so please let me know if you have additional questions or you need me to clarify anything If there is a delay in the time it takes me to respond it is because I am working with a customer or I am not online - but rest assured I will respond to your follow up question, if you have one. Also,occasionally I will respond from a mobile JA unit, which automatically asks you to submit a rating once I submit a response - but please don't feel like you need to do so until we are done speaking. Do you have a phone number for the ex girlfriend?

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I do hve her cell number but she has informed me not to contact her via phone or text which I have complied with
Ok, I see. If you have her stuff I would just text her and say that if she does not pick it up by such and such a date you will discard it. There's no reason to prepare motions and orders to show cause and the like. That's not really what the family courts are meant for - particularly when one person has clearly indicated that they wish to have no further communication with the other. It's somewhat of a different story if you jointly own the property on which the personal belongings are found. But here it's clear that she has said "don't contact me" so sending her a final "I will get rid of your stuff if you don't come get it or don't send me an address to forward it to" is usually sufficient. Alternatively, if you know her family you could always reach out to them about accepting her property - but I don't know that I'd go involving the court and certainly not without showing more of an effort to find an alternative to inform her that you won't be keeping her stuff for very long. I hope that helps. If you have additional questions please let me know.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
this is a rental property and I was informed by another attny here to write up a order to show cause and mail it certified since she refuses to have any contact with me the letter basically gives her three dates to choose from to recover he things it has already been three weeks I have already given clothes jewlery etc to a neutral party for her to recover from them and as of 9am this morning she has yet to recover them from neutral party

That changes things a little bit. It sounded like you were only looking to get her her "stuff" - clothes, jewelry. Certainly if you have real estate you're looking to divide that changes things. In that case if she won't respond to you, you really don't have much of a choice other than to go through the courts. Giving the clothes/jewelry to a third party is a good choice. If the only address you have is for her parents I would request the court's authorization to serve her there.

Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent
Olivia Kent, Family Law Attorney