How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Gerald-Esquire Your Own Question
Gerald-Esquire, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 4080
Experience:  30 years of experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Gerald-Esquire is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm from Alabama and my daughter is 22 and in school on pell

Customer Question

I'm from Alabama and my daughter is 22 and in school on pell grants and working two jobs. Her father was granted $7000 before I moved to GA in child support and items purchased as she went to live with him. Weed to to court and he asked for post minority but was denied. I currently owe him $2500 but he has filed twice stating 10,000 and $7500 but was denied by my last employer for wage garnishments as they found the figures to be inaccurate. He then goes to have it domesticated, again saying I've not paid any money and wants to hold me in contempt while asking for post minority in the sum of $31,000. I am paying Montgomery DHR and also have receipts from prior employer when wages were garnished. How can I hold this person accountable for harassing me on several jobs, lying to the courts and using my SS# ***** he's somehow illegally obtained as we were never married. Received papers 3 weeks ago from Fulton sheriff and will pay total amount remaining in a few weeks when we close on the sale of our Loft. How can I get this gut to back off for good without paying more money in attorney's fees than I actually owe him?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Gerald-Esquire replied 1 year ago.


Georgia law recognizes a cause of action (generally referred to as abuse of process) for situations such as the one that you are describing. If you can show that his claims are frivilous and that he has repeatedly brought fivilous claims against you then you can file the abuse of process claim.

The good news is that if you win the abuse of process claim he must pay your attorney's fees. So while I know that you do not want to go through any additional expense in getting your ex to stop harassing you, if you prevail you will be reimbursed your attorney's fees as well as receiving damages. Although actual damages are often hard to prove, you may be eligible for punitive damages.

These articles discuss the issue in more detail:

I hope this information is useful to you. I am sorry that there is not an easier or simpler way to get him to stop harassing you.

If you have additional or follow up questions on this please feel free to ask.

Kind regards,