How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11823
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My son has a 3 month son born to his ex-girlfriend. Her

Customer Question

My son has a 3 month son born to his ex-girlfriend. Her mother tries to control her and threatens her with no place to stay if she see's my son, this has caused a breakdown of their relationship to where my son has to fight for his rights to see his son. My son has no job and lives with his dad, he had neck surgery that caused him to pass out and have to have surgery all over again. He is waiting to have surgery until this is settled because he won't heal right if he is under a lot of stress.
I wish I could help him, but I live paycheck to paycheck. She has an attorney through the county because she lives with her mom, but my son can't afford one. He has done a lot of research to go o court, but they won't even let him talk without an attorney. Any suggestions? They live in two different counties.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Hello! My name is ***** ***** I am a licensed attorney with more than 18 years of experience. I am here to assist you with your questions. Please understand that if I ask you for additional information, you are NOT charged again and our communications are NOT timed. So please see this as a relaxed conversation between friends. I am here to help

Also, if you would like to chat on the phone, let me know and I can make that happen.

I am sorry for this dilemma. Can you tell me, is your son listed on the child's birth certificate?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
he is
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you

So what is your specific question? Are you asking what happens if this goes to court?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I am asking if there is any help for fathers like there is with mothers. She gets a free attorney because he gets assistance, he gets nothing. I really can't even afford this conversation with you, but we are desperate.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

What do you mean "she gets help"

What is going on? Is she filing for child support?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Help, free attorney because she is on assistance. My son is the one that started this to fight for his rights as a father to be able to see his son. He thought that when he went to court that the judge would order for visitation, etc. to make it legal, but he said he didn't have to make a ruling because they made an agreement together. Now she still won't let him see his son today like they agreed.
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
Which county are you in please?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
He is in Anoka, not sure where she is; I think Sherbourn
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

Thank you
And has he applied to the county's legal aid office to see if he can qualify for a low cost or free attorney?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
they said they can't help him
Expert:  P. Simmons replied 1 year ago.

I do not have any ideas that may help..but will opt out in the event perhaps another expert may

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can I just get a refund?