How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19132
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm going through a divorce right now and we have a support

Customer Question

hi, i'm going through a divorce right now and we have a support order in place. it's based on base salary and bonus. I also have a significant amount of stock in my company. we've agreed to the division of the stock in the company from an asset perspective. I'll get 440,000 shares and she'll get 70,000 shares. The stock were purchased during marriage, while I was at the company. We just got an offer to sell the company which is private to a PE firm for 1.4 billion. I will make about 10,000,000 on the transaction in about 6 months, and Natalie will make about 2,000,000. These are gross numbers. My question is how is this treated for Child Support and Spousal Support purposes? We were married for 5.5 years and were separated December 11,2013
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: CA
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Yes, but it remains very unclear, i'm not getting numbers or a range so I can mediate
JA: What advice did they give you?
Customer: he said you should pay some child support on this, based on the potential to make money off of this money, so say I make 4% off the 10,000,000 it would be looked as if I made 400k per year, and for her the same, around 90k per year for her. And this would be calculated as the difference in income for CS. He said if she works that would also increase her earnings, which she would be expected to do rather than continuing to collect child support. He said worst case is they will determine a marital standard of living and this will be the amount of spousal support I would have to pay, but he said she is going to have a difficult time with this one because her marital standard of living hasn't changed from the time we were separated. And that my standard of living now is irrelevant.
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: not that i can think of
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

I am reviewing your post, and I will post my response very shortly. Thank you for your patience.

Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Based on your potential earnings, the Court would most likely order you to pay some spousal support and Child Support. Spousal support may be for a short duration after the Court has reviewed the factors such as length of marriage, her ability to work, her age, and health. For more information, click here.

Kindly give a positive rating to my response so that I can receive credit for responding to your post. There is no additional cost to you for doing this.

Thank you for your cooperation.