How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Samuel II Your Own Question
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27011
Experience:  General practice of law with emphasis in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Samuel II is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding an infants name change in NYC.

Customer Question

I have a question regarding an infants name change in NYC. Can you help with that?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have sole legal and physical custody, and the only one on the birth certificate. At birth I was engaged and hypenated the name. I want my child to have only my last name. My fiance has not pursued paternity after break up (he has another newborn) and I am not pushing for paternity testing. Can I just do this name change myself, or will I have issues in court that may require me having a lawyer?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.


This is Samuel. I suggest you can do the name change on your own without local legal representation. A name change request can be made in the County Court or Supreme Court of the county where you live. If you live in New York City, you can go to the New York City Civil Court or the Supreme Court in the county where you live.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

The clerk of that court can provide you a packet of forms to file for the Name Change. You will need a certified Copy of the child's birth certificate. And since there is no father listed, then you do not need to serve the Father. You should be able to file and have the name changed pretty easily.

Expert:  Samuel II replied 11 months ago.

Here is a LINK you can review and they have forms for Child Name Change for NY State and also if you are living in the City.

Related Family Law Questions