Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I have a question regarding an infants name change in NYC.

Customer Question
Can you help with that? JA...
I have a question regarding an infants name change in NYC. Can you help with that?
JA: Because laws vary from state to state, could you tell me what state is this in?
Customer: New York
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: No
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: I have sole legal and physical custody, and the only one on the birth certificate. At birth I was engaged and hypenated the name. I want my child to have only my last name. My fiance has not pursued paternity after break up (he has another newborn) and I am not pushing for paternity testing. Can I just do this name change myself, or will I have issues in court that may require me having a lawyer?
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: New York
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/19/2016
Family Lawyer: Samuel II, Attorney at Law replied 1 year ago
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law

Hello

This is Samuel. I suggest you can do the name change on your own without local legal representation. A name change request can be made in the County Court or Supreme Court of the county where you live. If you live in New York City, you can go to the New York City Civil Court or the Supreme Court in the county where you live.

The clerk of that court can provide you a packet of forms to file for the Name Change. You will need a certified Copy of the child's birth certificate. And since there is no father listed, then you do not need to serve the Father. You should be able to file and have the name changed pretty easily.

Here is a LINK you can review and they have forms for Child Name Change for NY State and also if you are living in the City.

Samuel II
Samuel II
Samuel II, Attorney at Law