Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

I am divorced since 2008 our daughter was 16 years old. In

Customer Question
the divorce decree we were...
I am divorced since 2008 our daughter was 16 years old. In the divorce decree we were to sell the house by the time my daughter finished high school or was 19 years old. We had joint custody. I was then suppose to start child support payment of $1100.00 a month and $600.00 rehabilitative maintenance reviewable in 3 years beginning at the time of the sell of the marital home. I was to receive 45% and she would get 55% of the sell. I have been responsible to pay everything except utilities and cable. We agreed to live separately in the martial home since the dissolution of marriage in 2008 until I moved out November 2015. My daughter was then 24 years old and had graduated college. I talked to both when I decided to move but my ex didn't want to move during winter months. I agreed and kept paying the bills. Since then my ex decided she wants to keep the home so I agreed. I am willing to give up my 45% of the sell of the home but I feel I should not have to pay maintenance since I have never stopped paying what was ordered and then some. My ex is a F/T CTA bus operator but her income has never been disclosed to me during the entire marriage. I did what I thought was best for my daughter at the time. Now that she is grown and working (I got her an administrative position at my company), she and her mom should be capable of handling the finances. But my ex says she doesn't have time to file paperwork because of her schedule and all I want is my name off the house and to see her struggle. I have done everything possible to prevent her or my daughter from struggling financially. I want closure. I need help. Please tell me what options do I have?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/18/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. Just to be clear, you are on the loan/note, along with your ex? In addition, you are willing to give up your ownership interest in the home and give it to her?

Ely, Counselor at Law