Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My Arizona divorce decree states I was awarded the real

Customer Question
property with no money owed...
My Arizona divorce decree states I was awarded the real property with no money owed to the respondent. I am trying to refinance my house and there are documents he will need to sign to be removed from the loan and from the deed. He refuses to sign the documents. What do I or can I do now?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/18/2016
Family Lawyer: Marsha411JD, Attorney replied 1 year ago
Marsha411JD, Attorney

Thank you for the information and your question. Unfortunately, if he is refusing to sign a quit claim deed to transfer the ownership of the house to you, which he should have done immediately after it was ordered by the court, you will need to contact your divorce attorney, or a new one, and have them file a petition with the court to have your ex-husband held in contempt of court if he is not complying with the divorce decree. The court can force him to comply or hold him in contempt. Perhaps, if your attorney contacts his attorney and has a talk with them about this, his attorney can explain the law to him and that it will end up costing him more money if he doesn't comply. He should actually want you to get this refinanced in your name only since that will finally release him from the debt of the mortgage. He is obviously being unreasonable and not logical though at this point. Thus the necessity to get the attorneys and the court involved.

Please feel free to ask for clarification if needed. If none is needed, then if you could take a moment to leave a positive rating in the ratings box above, I will receive credit for assisting you today. Thank you

Hello again,

I wanted to touch base with you and make sure that you did not have any follow up questions for me from the answer I provided to you on the 18th. For some reason, the Experts are not always getting replies, or ratings (at the top of the question/answer page you are viewing or in the pop up box for this question), which is how we get credit(paid by the Site) for our work, that the customer thinks have gone through. In your case I received neither.

Please keep in mind that I cannot control the law or your circumstances, and am ethically bound to provide you with accurate information based on the facts you give me even if the news is not good. If you are having technical difficulties with reading, replying or rating,please let me know so that I can inform the Site administrator.Please note that Site use works best while using a computer and using either Google Chrome or Firefox.

In any event, it was a pleasure assisting you and I would be glad to attempt to assist you further on this issue, or a new legal issue,if needed. You can bookmark my page at: http://www.justanswer.com/law/expert-marsha411jd/

Thank you.

Marsha411JD, Attorney