How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 102584
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am aware of a child 16 that is being abused and has

Customer Question

I am aware of a child 16 that is being abused and has possibility has been sexually abused.
I want her to come live with me and my children. But I don't know the Florida laws.
I just want to put her in a safe place. Her mother told her to go get emancipated.
I just need to know what steps I should take
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Hello and welcome to JustAnswer. Please note: This is general information for educational purposes only and is not legal advice. No specific course of action is proposed herein, and no attorney-client relationship or privilege is formed by speaking to an expert on this site. By continuing, you confirm that you understand and agree to these terms.

I am sorry to hear about this situation. Please tell me:

1) How are you related to this child?

2) Has the child ever lived with you in the past?

3) Has the police or CPS been contacted? If so, what has been the result of this?

This is not an answer, but an information request. I need this information to answer your question. Please reply, so I can answer your question. Thank you in advance.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Friend of my daughters and she works for me
No she has never lived with me
And yes I believe a few years ago cost got involved and just recently exited this was for the sexual abuse. The mother was charged few years ago on beating her up at 13 then this happened again 3 days ago cops were called and gave the mother a warning.
The boyfriend of the mother that sexually touched the girl is still living in the house.
Expert:  Ely replied 1 year ago.

Thank you.

Thank you. On this website, I do not always get to give good news, and this is one of these times.

Someone in your situation is what is known as a third party when it comes to custody. Third parties who are not related to the child generally have no "standing" before the Court to demand custody (with Florida Department of Children and Families being an exception).

What can be done here is to get the authorities involved. If it did not work then, it may work now, especially if she is more willing to testify to the abuse. If the Florida Department of Children and Families takes custody of the child, then they can place the child with extended family or a foster home. This is where you come in. If you are licensed/registered as a foster family, the Florida Department of Children and Families may place the child with you. Especially if she and you request it and the Florida Department of Children and Families believes it is in the child's best interest.

However aside from that, there is no way to force a custody matter since you are unrelated to the child.

Please note: If I tell you simply what you wish to hear, this would be unfair to you. I need to be honest with you and sometimes this means providing information that is not optimal. Negative ratings are reserved for experts who are rude or for erroneous information. Please rate me on the quality of my information; do not punish me for my honesty.

I hope this helps and clarifies. Please use the SEND or REPLY button to keep chatting, or please RATE when finished. You may always ask follow ups at no charge after rating. Kindly rate my answer as one of TOP THREE FACES/STARS and then SUBMIT, as this is how experts get credit for our time. Rating my answer the bottom two faces/stars (or failing to submit the rating) does not give me credit and reflects poorly on me, even if my answer is correct. I work very hard to formulate an informative and honest answer for you; please reciprocate my good faith with a positive rating.