How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask CalAttorney2 Your Own Question
CalAttorney2, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 10244
Experience:  Civil litigation attorney for individuals and businesses.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
CalAttorney2 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I'm trying to find out about the process for my husband to

Customer Question

I'm trying to find out about the process for my husband to adopt my 21 year old daughter
JA: Because family law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Georgia
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: My sister. But she leaves in Texas and she hasn't been able to find a petition that covers my situation
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: No
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  CalAttorney2 replied 1 year ago.

Dear Customer,

Thank you for using our forum. My name is ***** ***** I hope to assist you today.

It is possible to file for an adult adoption in Georgia, the process is the same as if you were filing for the adoption of a minor, with the exception that the adult being adopted must file a written consent to the adoption.

Assuming that everyone (both the adopting parents and the adult being adopted) agree to the adoption, this is a relatively simple process, I do recommend utilizing an attorney for this not because the procedure is difficult, but because there are many things that must be handled appropriately following the procedure (such as changing the adult adoptee's legal status, whether or not the adult's name is ***** ***** be changed, etc.). Again, none of this is terribly time consuming for a family law attorney to handle, but the consequences of doing it improperly can be very costly (so for a relatively nominal attorney's fee you can have a lawyer do this for you in GA and the process will take between 2-6 months depending on the backlog in your local court).

I understand the adult being adopted currently lives in TX, but the adoption can still occur in GA.

You can find local attorneys using the State and local Bar Association directories, or private directories such as;; or (I personally find to be the most user friendly).