How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Asad Rahman Your Own Question
Asad Rahman
Asad Rahman, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2174
Experience:  Practicing Attorney with 10 years experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Asad Rahman is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am wondering if Child Support may be amended in the state

Customer Question

Hi. I am wondering if Child Support may be amended in the state of Colorado due to the financial circumstances of one of the ex-spouses changing drastically. For instance, in my case, my ex-wife has moved her and the kids in to her boyfriend/fiance's home. She no longer has to rent or bills now but she does have the kids the majority of the time. She and her fiancé travel quite a bit and are able to do things that I cannot afford at this time in my life. She is a teacher which I know is not that lucrative a job and I know we cannot factor in her boyfriend's income although it is much higher than mine. I am a Martial Arts instructor in a studio that I am 50% owner of. The business has not quite taken off and I make a salary of about $4400/month after taxes. I pay her $1200 a month for our 2 kids ages 15 and 11. I have rent of $1500/month, car payment of $595/month, insurance is $225/month and I have the kids every Sunday and every other Sat, Sun, Mon so that is only 8 nights a month which I know isn't enough as I'd like but I work very long hours as well as Saturdays. After expenses and child support I have about $880/month left for gas, groceries, cable, electric and other daily expenses. I can hardly afford to take my kids or girlfriend out to dinner without breaking my budget. Is it legal to ask for our child support to be amended now that my ex-wife's financial circumstances have changed so drastically? Can I ask that we split the bills on the kids' activities/school/clothing/expenses instead of just writing her a check each month? I think splitting these costs will give me more flexibility to be able to give my kids more at my own home and that I would maybe then be able to take them on a weekend trip etc like she gets to do. Please advise if child support can be amended due to one spouses financial circumstances changing drastically. (?)
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
Typically only a change in the paying parent's income are grounds for a modification.
Expert:  Asad Rahman replied 1 year ago.
You can ask the court to split child expenses more evenly. One way is to ask for more visitation time woth them. The courts might reduce your payment obligation if you spend more time woth the children.