Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex husband remarried. I am the custodial parent. My

Customer Question
My ex husband remarried. I...
My ex husband remarried. I am the custodial parent. My children are 16,17 and 18. The children schools have now added her to all of the consent forms and given her access to my children's grades, etc via internet, as the do for bio parents. my children dislike her greatly, with good reason. is this legal?
JA: Because education law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: TN
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: no
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/16/2016
Family Lawyer: LegalGems, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer

Thank you for your patience as I reviewed this. Here is the legal definition of a parent, as defined by FERPA, the federal act governing school records:

an individual acting as a parent in the absence of a parent or guardian.” 34 C.F.R. §99.3

The courts have found that if the step parent lives in a home that has the children present at least part of the time, they are considered a parent for purposes of FERPA and can have access to the records:

http://www2.ed.gov/policy/gen/guid/fpco/ferpa/library/hastings082004.html

This is contingent upon the step parent's marriage to the spouse, and it does not survive a divorce.

A parent may obtain a court order restricting access to a step parent and that can be provided to the schools, in which case that information would only be available to the child's true parents.

Further questions? Please post here to continue the chat.

Satisfied? Kindly rate positively so I receive credit for assisting you. I hope that you feel I have earned

5 stars *****

as I strive to provide my customers with great service.

(no additional charges are incurred).

Information provided is for educational purposes only. Consultation with a personal attorney is always recommended so your particular facts may be considered. Thank you and take care.

Hi- just checking in to see if you needed clarification on any of the above information. If so please post here (there is no additional charge for this) and I will do my best to get you the requested information.

Thank you!

LegalGems
LegalGems
LegalGems, Lawyer