How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask LawyerDavid Your Own Question
LawyerDavid, Attorney
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 365
Experience:  Highly experienced attorney Commercial Law, Litigation, Intellectual Property Law, and Family Law
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
LawyerDavid is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I went through a divorce a few years ago and the judge

Customer Question

I went through a divorce a few years ago and the judge declared one vehicle for me one vehicle for her. All the debt would reside with the sole possessor of that vehicle. However the finance company will not take my name off the loan and she had declined to make any more payments and after I have helped her numerous times I cannot help anymore. Please help me
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  LawyerDavid replied 11 months ago.


My name is ***** ***** I will be assisting you today. I am really sorry about your divorce and what has occurred with your ex. The finance company will have issued a note on the vehicle based on both of you being responsible for the vehicle and unless her credit is sound they will not likely remove you from the note even after the divorce. I would suggest suing your ex based on breach of the divorce decree/agreement if it states each of you will take possession of the vehicles and be responsible for payments. You could do this in the divorce court by modifying the divorce decree, or in small claims court for simple breach of contract against her. Alternatively, you could work it out with her and agree you will pay the vehicle off and she will pay you directly or give you the car. Unfortunately, if you let it go into repossession it will reflect badley on your credit and hers so my suggestion is try to work it out with her the best you can and move forward. I hope this helps. All the best, David