How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 118087
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My name was changed on my birth certificate when I was 13

Customer Question

My name was changed on my birth certificate when I was 13 months old, but whoever did it did not change the name on my social security card. I am having issues with financial aide for school and can't get a license because I dont have any form of ID. Someone did this to me illegally and I dont know what to do, I dont know who it was and cant find a way to prove my name was changed. Please help.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
What happened when you went to the Social Security Administration to change the name on your SS Card? What did they tell you? Did you present them the original birth certificate showing your legal name?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I dont have the two forms of ID that they require. I have a birth certificate with one name and a social security card with another name. They wouldn't accept that. I have a photocopy of the original birth certificate but they would not accept it as it isn't certified.
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Thank you for your reply

First off you need to get an original birth certificate with the changed name on it, which you do from vital records. If the SSA will not take the original birth certificate because you do not have any other form of ID with the same name as the birth certificate even though they can accept one document, such as certified copy of the birth certificate (they will take any other type of ID with your name matching your birth certificate name like a school ID or driver's license or military ID or any other official government document with that name on it), your only remaining recourse is to file a petition for name change in the local court and you need to ask the court to order a legal name change on your SS Card, which would force SSA to change the name (at this point if you want to change your name to the name on the SS card because that is the name you have always used, you can do that as well and then your birth certificate would match your SS card as the court would order your name changed to the name on your SS card and you would be able to apply for a new birth certificate in that name and have an official court order changing your name). You must have an official copy of the birth certificate though, that is your first step. Once you have that you need to bring it to SSA and explain that no other documents exist because of the error on your SS card and present them with any other official original documents you have in the name on your birth certificate.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I do not have two official forms of ID. I am 18, never had a license, no passport, no school ID, nothing with my photo on it. All I have is an official, certified birth certificate of my current name, and a social security card with my old name. Will the court still allow me to petition the name change even if I cant identify myself?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Why am I being charged for the full 53 dollars when I am unsatisfied with your answer??
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Yes, you can petition for a name change even if all you have is a birth certificate in one name and SS card in another name. You would submit an affidavit with your name change petition certifying your legal name is ***** ***** appears on your birth certificate and you would ask the court either to change it to the name on your SS card or to issue an order to SS to change the name to match your birth certificate, your choice.
We have not finished yet and all you have been charged is a deposit.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
No. My online bank statement says that I have been charged 53$
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 1 year ago.
Thank you for your reply.
The experts are not employees of the site, we do not charge you anything nor do we have anything to do with the charges. The charge you are seeing is still a refundable deposit.