How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Phillips Esq. Your Own Question
Phillips Esq.
Phillips Esq., Attorney-at-Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 19107
Experience:  B.A.; M.B.A.; J.D.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Phillips Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is it possible to change a birth certificate back to the

Customer Question

Is it possible to change a birth certificate back to the original after an adoption by a step parent.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Hello: This is Attorney Phillips. Welcome to Justanswer! I will be assisting you today with your post.

Could you explain a little more?

Thank you for your cooperation,

Customer: replied 11 months ago.
My Father died when I was 4 years old. My Mother remarried when I was 6 and the man she married adopted me and my sister. My Birth certificate shows him as my father. My Mother and him divorced by the time I was 12 and I have not seen him or heard from him in 44 years nor do I have a desire to see him again even if he is still alive. I want my birth certificate to show who my father really is not some one that was never my father. I legally changed my last name when I turned 18 back to Patterson my real Father's name, from Russell the name on my birth certificate.
Expert:  Phillips Esq. replied 11 months ago.

Thank you for the information.

Unfortunately, you cannot change you name on the Birth Certificate back to your biological father's name. Your adoptive father is now the legal father. The name change, which you have already done is the only thing you can legally to do here. The Birth Certificate is not going to be changed.

I am sorry that I do not have better news for you.