How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask FamilyAnswer Your Own Question
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 27198
Experience:  10 + years of handling Family Law, Divorce, Child Custody and Child Support cases
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
FamilyAnswer is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Can parental rights be signed away with a notarized letter?

Customer Question

If someone wants to sign away their parental rights, can they sign a notarized letter stating that they are signing away all rights and then have it filed with the court in CA? There is a current order for custody and c/s
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good evening. If someone wants to voluntarily terminate their parental rights, they need to go through the process with the court. I say this because simply signing a letter, will not be enough for the Judge to legally terminate them. Proceedings need to happen and the parties need to appear and the Judge is going to want to speak with both the mother and the father. Yes, the cooperation will certainly help but there is more then just signing and filing a notarized letter.

Related Family Law Questions