Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

Can Parental Rights Be Signed Away With A Notarized Letter?

Customer Question
If someone wants to sign...
If someone wants to sign away their parental rights, can they sign a notarized letter stating that they are signing away all rights and then have it filed with the court in CA? There is a current order for custody and c/s
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/15/2016
Family Lawyer: FamilyAnswer, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer

Good evening. If someone wants to voluntarily terminate their parental rights, they need to go through the process with the court. I say this because simply signing a letter, will not be enough for the Judge to legally terminate them. Proceedings need to happen and the parties need to appear and the Judge is going to want to speak with both the mother and the father. Yes, the cooperation will certainly help but there is more then just signing and filing a notarized letter.

https://saclaw.org/wp-content/uploads/terminating-parental-rights.pdf

FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer
FamilyAnswer, Lawyer