How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Law Educator, Esq. Your Own Question
Law Educator, Esq.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 116809
Experience:  Experienced attorney: Family law, Estate Law, SS Law etc.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Law Educator, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How to have marriage date on my divorce decree corrected?

Customer Question

I need to have the marriage date on my divorce decree corrected to reflect our common law marriage date instead of the civil ceremony date. What forms do I need for this?
This is in the state of Oklahoma.
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your question.
You need to file a motion to correct administrative error Nunc pro Tunc. This is a motion to the court explaining that the dates were incorrectly entered on the decree by error and need to be corrected to the proper dates of the common law marriage. There is no special form for this, it is done in a regular motion form to the court and it is essentially asking the court to correct a typographical error to change the dates. That is the easiest way to do this.
Customer: replied 11 months ago.
Is there usually a fee? How long does this process take?
Expert:  Law Educator, Esq. replied 11 months ago.
Thank you for your reply.
Typically for a motion for correction of an error, there is no filing fee. Generally it takes 2 weeks or less depending on how busy the court and judge is at the time you file and it is done without a hearing.