How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Christopher B, Esq. Your Own Question
Christopher B, Esq.
Christopher B, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 2983
Experience:  associate attorney
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Christopher B, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have 2 grandchildren living with their mother, my daughter

Customer Question

Hi, My name is***** have 2 grandchildren living with their mother, my daughter in Norcross, Ga. The parents are divorced. In 2012 I filed for grandparent visitation rights and found it too difficult and eventually redrew my case. My daughter refuses to communicate with me and therefore I have not seen my grandchildren in 4 years. They are ages 9 and 7. I might add that she has a drinking problem. Back in 2012 I visited a few times and saw a deep need for the children to have someone stable in their live. I'm wondering if the Georgia laws have changed making it easier to get visitation rights?
Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

My name is ***** ***** I will be helping you question tonight. Thank you for your question and for using Give me a but and I will draft you an answer.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Yes, in 2012, Georgia passed a new law making it easier for grandparents to gain visitation. See link for article:

HB1198 was the new law. "Grandparents may sue for visitation either in an original action or as part of a custody suit. As for the finding of harm, the court is directed that it is "reasonably likely" that harm would occur to children deprived of contact with grandparents in the following situations:

(1) The child resided with the grandparent for six months or longer.

(2) The grandparent "provided financial support" for the child's basic needs for at least one year.

(3) The grandparent had established a pattern of visiting the child or providing child care.

(4) Other circumstances indicate that "emotional or physical harm" would result from a lack of contact."

Now, the court is directed to presume that a child deprived of contact with a grandparent "may suffer emotional injury that is harmful to such child's health." This is a rebutable presumption but it basically means that it is assumed that the child is harmed when not allowed to see their grandparents making it easier to gain some sort of court ordered visitation. So to answer yoru question, yes it is easier since 2012.

Please let me know if you have any further questions and please positively rate my answer if satisfied. There should be smiley faces or numbers from 1-5 to choose from. This extra step will cost you nothing extra and will be greatly appreciated.

Expert:  Christopher B, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Just checking back in, do you have any further questions?