Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

We recently found out my husband has a 14 yr. Old daughter.

Customer Question
We started paying child support...
We started paying child support $270. A mth. But they are taking $300, for some reason.
The mother was allowing us to get her when it was convenient for her or when it was a punishment to the child.
Now the mother is trying to move her to Texas. We live in Mississippi. We have already missed out on most of her life. Plus we have 3 boys, which are her brothers, they are 10, 9, & 6.
We all want to be a part of her life.
Can we get visitation rights?
Can we stop her from moving the child out of state?
Do we have to hire an attorney to do this?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/13/2016
Family Lawyer: JD 1992, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer

Hello and thank you for contacting us. This is Dwayne B. and I’m an expert here and looking forward to assisting you today.

Can we get visitation rights?
Yes, almost certainly. The court will normally give the child a little while to get to know the father before entering the order for weekends but it will happen pretty soon.

It's possible, but not likely under these facts. You may be able to get the court to order her to pay for the travel back and forth. That's more likely that the court just telling her she can't move.

No, but to have any chance to get something favorable to your husband about the move, such as having her pay for travel back and forth, you need a lawyer. Your husband can choose to represent himself in the case, that's always allowed but never a good idea unless everything is agreed.

If your question(s) have been answered then I'd offer my best wishes to you and ask that you please not forget to leave a Positive Rating so I receive credit for my work. Of course, please feel free to ask any follow up questions in this thread. I want to be sure that all of your questions are answered.

JD 1992
JD 1992
JD 1992, Lawyer