How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Maverick Your Own Question
Maverick, Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 6392
Experience:  20 years of professional experience
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Maverick is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 16 living in Alabama. I want to know the steps to being

Customer Question

I am 16 living in Alabama. I want to know the steps to being emancipated.
JA: Have you talked to a lawyer yet?
Customer: Not yet. I'm not really sure on how to go about this
JA: Anything else you think the lawyer should know?
Customer: My uncle (whom has full custody of me) is forcing his religion upon me. And I've already decided my own beliefs. It is affecting my work hours and pay. DHR recently removed me from my parents home for drugs/abuse. I have money and a job. I'm very responsible. I could very well support myself. My aunt has also admitted that she's basically only worried for me because she doesn't want to lose money.
JA: Because real estate law varies from place to place, can you tell me what state this is in?
Customer: Alabama
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I've been told that as long as I can prove I can support myself and pay rent or bills that I meet requirements
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Okay. Thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

I am sorry to say that the Alabama emancipation laws apply to a minor who is 18 as the age of majority in Alabama is 19. Since you are still 16, the emancipation laws would not apply. If you have another adult relative, he/she can apply for non-parental custody. If you can continue to support yourself, you may be able to move to another State which does allow emancipation at 16. Also getting married may be an option for emancipation.

Below is a brief summary of the law:

ALABAMA: In Alabama, the age of majority is nineteen. The Alabama code describing the emancipation procedure is designed to expand the rights of minors over the age of 18 but under the age of majority. Parents can file an emancipation petition with the court or the minor seeking emancipation can file the petition if that minor has no parents or if a living parent is insane or has abandoned the minor. The court will then decide if a decree of emancipation is in the "interest of such minor.

Note: (1) Just Answer’s site disclaimers apply to all levels of service; (2) Most follow-up questions are answered with in the hour; however, if I am not signed on, please allow up to 24 hours; and (3) If we are done, please assign a feedback rating so Just Answer will compensate me. Thank you.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
How would marriage be a way towards it. Because you need parent's permission to be married at 16?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Yes, you are correct as I had not checked the AL law on that issue. I was suggesting that it "may" be possible. I just checked and also did not find any other state that would allow it without parental consent.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
do you know if there is any way you out of my uncle's custody for me right now?
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

Sorry, nothing other that what I have already stated. I know this is not the answer you wanted to hear, but I am assuming that you are wanting a professional and honest answer.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Maverick replied 1 year ago.

You are welcome. Look on the bright side, your tough upbringing appears to have made you a very intelligent person at a very young age. I think you will go far in life. Hang in there my friend...

Related Family Law Questions