Family Law

Family Law Questions? Ask a Family Lawyer Online.

Family Law

My ex wife is verbal abusive to me and my family...She is

Customer Question
verbal abusive to me and...
My ex wife is verbal abusive to me and my family...She is verbal abusive to me and my family and p psychologicalY and emotional y abusive to my son. Should I put that on the order of protection And will the judge grant it?
If my ex wife who lives in arizona wants to enforce the custody order would she need2 file a petition with the court here in Illinois and get a order to enforce the custody Illinois has jurisdiction
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Family Law
8/12/2016
Family Lawyer: Maverick, Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Maverick
Maverick, Lawyer

Welcome! My name is Maverick. Please give me a few minutes to analyze and/or research your inquiry and I will be back.

I think you may benefit from a phone call option on this. I will send you an offer of services. If you accept it, please send me your phone number and I will contact you so we can get a solution for you.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
no please answer On here
Family Lawyer: Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer replied 1 year ago
Thank you for your question. I look forward to working with you to provide you the information you are seeking for educational purposes only.
I am a DIFFERENT CONTRIBUTOR as your previous contributor had to leave.
First, if she is abusive and harassing you, but she is in Arizona, in order to have an effective restraining order against her that could be enforced, you would have to file the restraining order in Arizona. The IL court could not enforce the order as they have no personal jurisdiction over her.
As far as the custody order, that order must be enforced in the court where it was issued. So if it was issued in IL, she would have to come to IL to file.
If she is causing emotional distress to you and the children, you could also consider suing for infliction of emotional distress, but again the court that has personal jurisdiction over her for that claim would be the court where she resides, so that means suing in Arizona.
Law Educator, Esq., Lawyer