How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Ely Your Own Question
Ely, Counselor at Law
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 11759
Experience:  Private practice with focus on family, criminal, PI, consumer protection, and business consultation.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Ely is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My husband and I are divorcing and he wants the car we owe

Customer Question

my husband and I are divorcing and he wants the car we owe 12k on the care he wants me to pay for it and give it to him because I make 2x more money then he does. is he entitled to the car with me paying for it. I was not a gift I co-signed a loan for him but I have always paid for the care because our original agreement was that I would use it during the week to keep the mileage low on my Honda (we leased the Honda it is in my name only)
Submitted: 11 months ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Good morning. I am sorry to hear about what you are going through. The vehicle is a martial asset. You have just as much of a right to it and he does, so you do not just have to give it to him, if you want to keep it. You can agree to allow him to have it BUT on the condition that he assume the payments. If he refuses, then it will be up to the Judge to decide and if you make twice as much as him, he would need to see if the court would order and allow him any type of support.

Expert:  FamilyAnswer replied 11 months ago.

Do you know if he is asking for support?

Related Family Law Questions