How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lucy, Esq. Your Own Question
Lucy, Esq.
Lucy, Esq., Lawyer
Category: Family Law
Satisfied Customers: 29986
Experience:  Attorney with experience in family law.
Type Your Family Law Question Here...
Lucy, Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Have a court date to change custody on 8-15-16 and if she

Customer Question

have a court date to change custody on 8-15-16 and if she doesn't show up what happens? And what will the judge want from me.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Family Law
Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.


I'm Lucy, and I'd be happy to answer your questions today.

If she's the one requesting the change and she doesn't show, the judge will probably deny the request and rule in your favor. A person who doesn't appear in court forfeits their right to state their case. But if you're the one who wants the change, you should be prepared to present your evidence, just in case. That means testifying as to why the change is in the best interests of the child, but also providing any supplemental evidence you have. The exact evidence the judge will want to see depends on why you're asking for the change. For example, if it was based on improper behavior by the mother, then things like photographs, texts, social media posts, and testimony from third party witnesses will help. If it's about helping your relationship with your child grow, then you'd talk more about the time you've spent together and how it benefits the child.

Expert:  Lucy, Esq. replied 1 year ago.

Do you have any other questions about this?

Related Family Law Questions